Aug 10 2018
Product spotlight: Traction Drill Collar (TDC)
Deviated and Horizontal wells can be troublesome for operators. The ever-increasing demand to extend the reach of these wells can also prove challenging. Paradigm’s Traction Drill Collar is designed to help drillers achieve longer horizontal laterals.
Paradigm’s innovative design Traction Drill Collar (TDC) has been designed as a short collar system that can be easily placed within conventional and rotary steerable drilling assemblies.
The TDC’s simple, robust design converts 40-60% of the side forces it is subject to into linear traction (forward movement). The TDC has been designed as a short collar system that can be easily placed within conventional and rotary steerable drilling assemblies. The six free rotating sleeves reduce rotational friction but work as three matching pairs lifting each other off the lowside for enhanced hole cleaning.
In rotation, the speed of this traction is designed to exceed the maximum anticipated ROP, while being optimised to allow the traction sleeves to maintain constant, controlled WOB. By providing free rotating bearing sleeves in the lower drilling assembly the TDC substantially reduces the Axial, lateral and torsional drilling induced vibration.
As a short collar system, the TDC is compatible with most drilling assemblies, allows common stand heights for racking back on the drill floor and is designed as a plug and play drilling enhancement tool.
• Next generation of weight transmission technology
• Skewed rollers help pull upper BHA into tension
• Converts 40-60% of collar side force into traction
• Combines downhole traction with torque reduction
• Proprietary mud lubricated elastomeric bearings
• Standard pony drill collar dimensions
• Full bore ID
• One piece low-profile rollers
• Overcomes weight transfer issues, Extends lateral reach
• Downhole traction (tension) eliminates string buckling
• Provides constant WOB and reduces stick-slip
• Rotational friction is reduced significantly
• Robust design, no specialist handling required
• Plug & Play
• Minimum ECD impact
The TDC is designed to reduce vibration and improve drilling efficiency. Together with its torque reduction ability, the TDC offers more efficient drilling, longer bit life, and reduced vibration. The TDC significantly lowers the cost per foot of horizontal wells by reducing drilling time and extending lateral reach.