Jul 06 2016
Case Study: Cuttings Bed Agitators - Assisting Hole Cleaning and Providing Durability in a Remote Location
An operator in the Ivory Coast had an ongoing development drilling program, with 17 1/2” hole sections ranging 2200ft – 4900ft in length, with hole angle building from 20 degrees up to horizontal. The wells were drilled and completed horizontally with a 2700ft – 3300ft 12 ¼” hole reservoir section.
Previous drilling challenges included hole cleaning problems and running casing due to the build section and high hole angle in the 17 ½” section.
In addition to adopting improved ERD drilling practices, Cuttings Bed Agitator Subs (CBA) were to be introduced to provide additional mechanical agitation of the cutting beds while drilling.
- The CBA subs were custom designed and built to order, supplying both 6 5/8” and 5 7/8” tool sizes.
- A total of 25 tools were manufactured in a very short timescale, providing an excellent service to the client, matched with a competitive and efficient pricing structure for long-term rental requirements.
- The CBA subs were utilised for the remainder of the development project, 4 wells in total, in both 17 ½” and 12 ¼” hole sections.
- The CBA subs proved to be extremely durable and cost effective with no additional “surprise” redress or DBR charges.
- The total footage culminated at 21,510 feet.
Value to the client
The remaining 4 developments wells were successfully drilled and completed without further hole cleaning problems or major hole cleaning related non productive time. Furthermore the CBA run charges were invoiced as planned without any unexpected (hidden) repair or redress charges.